[open-cobol-list] Want to start using Open Cobol

From: Tommy Poesoro
Subject: [open-cobol-list] Want to start using Open Cobol
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 14:22:41 +0700

Hi from Jakarta – Indonesia!

Dear Friends,

I have been using Microsoft/MicroFocus COBOL version 4.5 since 1986.
 I have a set of applications still used until now by some of my clients. The applications are running on Windows server 2000 and accessed by terminals using Windows XP, Vista and 7 through DOS commands.
After almost 40 years running and serving its purpose, now the users seem to face inconveniences when using my application, like the DOS windows (which used to be enlargeable in XP by pressing alt+enter) cannot do the same anymore in Vista or 7.
Now the server’s OS is being upgraded to Server 2003, and apparently 2003 is having problems in being accessed by the terminals if using Windows older than Vista or 7. Thus they cannot enjoy big characters in DOS windows.

But aside of the above, I intend to port my application to something more modern and being able to run on Windows or other platforms and the possibility to access the application through the web and if the Indexed File System has to be changed to a DBMS system, I need suggestions, input on how to proceed and what compiler version of Open-Cobol is better to be used.

1.       Original source is the version supported by MF Cobol 4.5
2.       Which Open Cobol version should I use and where can I download it from?
3.       Where can I download/buy the corresponding technical manuals?
4.       What DBMS can be used?
5.       Is there a conversion tool available to convert my source into Open Cobol?
6.       What platforms can Open Cobol be installed on, is there a specific version for Windows and another for Linux?
7.       What additional tools do I need if I want my application to be accessed through the internet?
8.       What are the costs that I should pay when using Open Cobol (runtime license?, additional tools?)

Thank you for your help and best regards,
Tommy

Screenshot of a compiler session, I am using DOSBox

Screenshots of the application :