gnucomm-privacy

[Gnucomm-privacy] A quest for private VoIP

From: dimitrovem
Subject: [Gnucomm-privacy] A quest for private VoIP
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 11:42:13 -0000

Friends, I need some help. There are three pieces of problem on which I've spent way too much time in the last months without finding appropriate solutions. I decide to speak up, because it has been somewhat frustrating.

It's a big e-mail, but I had to make it thorough to show the whole picture. I'd love if you could join this conversation.

I believe the expertise about this is already living in your minds, and I would be very thankful if you could point out some solutions to all of us – or, if that is the case, at least inform us that we still have nothing better yet.

I am aware that GNU Free Call is being developed, but until it's ready we need working solutions. I'm very interested in what you have been using – what is your current workaround?

The problems

1) The first is the best way to set up private VoIP communication between two Linux machines.

- The two parties are smart enough and willing to spend time configuring if necessary, although neither party understands the technicalities behind networking protocols beyond the very basic, so the config should be 'run this and you are done and safe'.

- The contents are encrypted and decrypted in each person's machine, so no need to trust the service provider.

- Ideally there isn't even a provider at all, not even registrars, to avoid having communication metadata being unnecessarily stored in some server, somewhere.

2) The second is the best way to set up private VoIP communication between a Linux machine and a Windows machine, and the Windows user is your generic friend unaware of privacy issues or technicalities.

- The Windows user is technologically clueless. So the program or method has to be as simple to set up and install as Skype is. Think of it as an alternative to Skype for you to communicate with your mom.

- The contents are encrypted and decrypted in each person's machine, so no need to trust the service provider.

- It is ok to have some provider, because not having any probably means 'difficult and weird setup that your Windows friend won't bother to learn'. Metadata about connections are unavoidable. If I am wrong here and such a setup is easy even in Windows please tell me.

3) The third is the best way to set up private VoIP communication between a Linux machine and a regular phone.

- The Linux user is ok with spending time setting it up as best as possible, because the other party doesn't have to do anything – just pick up the phone.

- Contents should be preferably encrypted until they reach the phone lines.

- It's probably a paid service.

Thus:

- The first is a polished solution to be adopted by two technically-inclined persons.

- The second is something simple even an average Windows user can easily run.

- The third can be polished because it only depends on whomever is calling.

In an ideal world the second would be as private and secure as the first, but I doubt we are there.

What I tried

Let me share what I've tried, where I got stuck and what troubles me.

a) I've tried many of the SIP Linux clients, and none was satisfactory for one reason or another.

- Ekiga works but doesn't have encryption, SFLphone I really can't make it call at all. Twinkle I found buggy and it does work but disconnects on its own too quickly, plus it hasn't been updated in a while. Linphone didn't work, don't remember why, and if I recall correctly doesn't have ZRTP encryption. Qutecom I can't make it work either, and I can't make my calls complete with Jitsi. On top of that, only Jitsi has both encryption and a Windows version and could thus be used as a solution to #2 above.

b) I've tried in different machines, and I'm convinced it's not some system problem. Nor is some inability of mine to configure it correctly – I am not that rookie, and I can navigate menus, so if it's a configuration problem it's way too technical, opaque and not obvious. I won't get into much detail here, but lest someone answers 'I use SFLphone and it works fine', I have to say: I really tried configuring and troubleshooting all of those without success, and found them unstable and unreliable.

c) My general impression when using any of those is: does it really have to be that difficult? Can't I just log in, add an account, add an user, ring, and talk? Skype is closed source and not free, but we must admit it: they do an excellent job of being simple and quick to use.

d) Even if you encrypt calls, metadata can be stored in registrars's servers. Is that a problem? I started to think that it is, but then again our regular phone companies also log communication metadata and certainly can eavesdrop our calls. So maybe you should either be concerned about phone companies or not concerned about registrars, is that correct?

e) In any case, are there SIP registrars that are preferable for one reason or another? Such as: they don't log anything at all, or they better secure passwords, or anything like that.

f) Can I connect with someone else's computer without any of us using registrars, and if yes, how, and is that desirable or preferable? I have heard about using SSH/VPN tunneling to do this, but the source was either not detailed enough or the setup process seemed way too technical, advanced and prone to endless troubleshooting. I'm not familiar with such techniques, although I am willing to learn if it pays off and there is no better alternative.

g) When it comes to VoIP calls to regular phones there is a need to use VoIP providers, since it's paid. They all look quite the same to me, and have this 'weird commercial vibe', if you know what I mean. How can I know which of those companies I can trust? Is there a need to trust at all, or is there some design that makes trust unnecessary? And in any case, are there options better than the others in terms of quality of service and respect for privacy? Are there any of such companies with a 'free software vibe'?

I appreciate if you guys can share with everybody any answers to those questions, excellent step-by-step tutorials, tips, software, automated scripts and useful, friendly insights. I believe I am not the only one stuck at this same stage.

Dimitrov.

Mail.bg: Безплатен e-mail адрес. Най-добрите характеристики на българския пазар - 20 GB пощенска кутия, 1 GB прикрепен файл, безплатен POP3, мобилна версия, SMS известяване и други.