gnucomm-privacy

[Gnucomm-privacy] Private VoIP behind a NAT

From: Daniel Kraft
Subject: [Gnucomm-privacy] Private VoIP behind a NAT
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 12:49:35 +0100

Hi!

>From the archives it looks as if this was no very active mailing list,
but I'll try my luck anyway in getting some advice.  My goal is very
simple:  Setting up private, secure communication (voice/video) with my
friends over the internet.

In particular:

* The connection should be end-to-end encrypted, possibly with ZRTP, and
support (as mentioned above) voice as well as video.

* I as well as some of my friends run Debian Wheezy, but it would be
best to have a solution working also on Windows.  Additional bonus
points if it also works on mobile devices (Android in my case), like
with CSipSimple.

* All participants are behind NATs, and I can't realistically set up
appropriate port forwarding.

* I've tried a variety of SIP clients so far (including Ekiga / Jitsi on
desktop, CSipSimple on Android, and Linphone on both), but nothing
worked for me so far, with multiple trials at different times I got
motivated to get it finally working.

* The only thing which seemed to work until now was Jitsi with
Voice/Video over XMPP, but also that failed in some situations (I
haven't yet investigated what the exact cause for the failure is).

What may make my situation different from the "common" case is that I do
have a virtual server rented (running Debian Squeeze) and could use that
as a proxy or even central server.  Do you have suggestions on how to
set up communications based on this server?  Or hints on how to get SIP
working from behind NAT in general even with an arbitrary free SIP
provider?  So you suggest trying XMPP further instead?  It would really
be cool to get this finally working -- I don't want to use Skype, of
course, and can't believe this is so hard to do....

I head about GNU SIP Witch, but can't really find good information about
it.  Can I use it to do what I want?  And if yes, is there any
documentation on how to set it up?

Or would it be easier to set up some server software on my virtual
machine, and just have all the clients connect to it from behind the NAT
-- would that work, or do still problems occur if the clients try to
send the media streams directly to each other?  What would be a good
software to install there?

I'm very grateful for all hints!  Yours,
Daniel

--
http://www.domob.eu/