Re: Tools

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: Tools
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 09:45:16 -0400 (EDT)

There are ways of dealing successfully with commercial entities that may
mearly use free software licensing to seed product or play bate and switch
games.  Of course, there is always the notion of forking the "last public
version", if it comes to that.  A more effective strategy is for the
community to dilute the corporations copyright with another far more
stubborn and committed free software party (the FSF being an excellant
example of this :) through strategic contribution, thereby blocking the
corporation from changing to proprietary licenses in the future.  That
being said, one does have to choose carefully, but I do not think strong
commercial interests are automatically bad for community.