[GNUe] Retic EAI server and GNUe?

From: Wolfgang Keller
Subject: [GNUe] Retic EAI server and GNUe?
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 13:08:24 +0100

Hello,

recently I found out about Retic, an open-source EAI server (or call it
enterprise service bus as this seeems to be the name currently "en vogue")
for extracting, transforming and forwarding data from various sources to
various sinks.

It is currently implemented using Jython, according to the author due to
weak support for "native" Python in the world of enterprise-class databases
and messaging systems. From a short discussion with the author it seems to
me that he would be interested in re-implementing Retic (with major
re-design of the architecture) in "pure" CPython, but obviously he can't do
it all on his own. While I would be perfectly willing to help out with some
of the work (especially those parts that I can actually use in my work :-),
my Python skills are so far limited to mostly "throw away" scripting, so...

Maybe this work to build a generic "Python Enterprise Application
Integration Server" could be integrated with the work on GNUe?

Especially since the availability of such a "built-in middleware" would
imho be a huge incentive for the use of GNUe, as companies/individual
departments could start to use it for small applications first, which could
however be seamlessly integrated in the existing "application landscape"
from the start. This could be a nice way to make GNUe "sneak" into
companies "through the backdoor".

Best regards,

Wolfgang Keller