Re: [gnugo-devel] Re: Assignment lawyer on jury duty

From: Pierce Wetter
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Re: Assignment lawyer on jury duty
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 11:40:42 -0700

On Tuesday, October 23, 2001, at 10:53 AM, Daniel Bump wrote:

Trevor wrote:

Yet, I've not seen any other mention of the Thomas Wolf problems on
the page, or elsewhere.  Are these problems available somewhere?

You have to get them from Thomas Wolf.

http://alpha.qmw.ac.uk/~ugah006/gotools/t.wolf.gotools.problems.html

We have permission to use some of them in regression/. Thomas Wolf will
retain the copyright. Also I think Tristan Cazenave will retain
the copyright to the problems he's contributed in regression/golois/ .

Pierce Wetter wrote a script for translating them. I think Pierce is
intending to select about 500 problems. I think he'd probably
appreciate help with this.

 Yes I would.

I was hoping to create a set of 500 problems in all ranges of difficulty. The problem has been that gnugo doesn't always do well on most of them, especially since the "right" answer is one that leaves the group with the best shape. So I can't really use gnugo to rate the problems.

The current plan is that I'll probably randomly select 1000 problems based on GoTools difficulty estimate, and then winnow those down to 500 by hand.

 Pierce