Re: [gnugo-devel] Thinking on opponent's time?

From: Heikki Levanto
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Thinking on opponent's time?
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 01:26:55 +0200

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 03:45:01PM -0700, Daniel Bump wrote:
> What Trevor's suggesting is different from your reflex idea suggestion.

I know. I feel my suggestion would make GNU Go feel like playing faster,
when it wouldn't take so long to find moves that we humans feel obvious...

> We could easily make this a feature that could be turned on or off.
> I suppose there could be patterns that would set an automatic
> response. We'd have to think about under what conditions the
> reflex expires.

Yes. As a first approximation, we could say the reflex expires on the next
move. If GNU Go hanes, and I block, it will connect. If I play a forcing
move somewhere else, it will have to consider that, probably answer, and
later come back to analyze the connecting move. Even in that case, GNU Go
has not lost anything, and the opponent has wasted a ko threat just to gain
time - useful occasionally, but not the proper way to play...

Later, if the idea seems to work in real play, we can expand the concept of
reflexes to cover whole joseki, and other fixed sequences. Maybe some day we
can incorporate the concept deep in the engine? Version 8.2, or something??

I think this sort of reflex is a good concept, close to the way we humans
think... Worth studying at least.

-H

--
Heikki Levanto  LSD - Levanto Software Development   <address@hidden>