Re: [gnugo-devel] Patch: New move generator

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Patch: New move generator
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 08:32:09 -0700

About atari_atari, Gunnar wrote:

> It only proposes a single defense against combination attacks. This
>   sometimes leads to suboptimal moves being generated. A good example
>   is test case strategy3:101.

This isn't correct. Sometimes we try multiple defenses. See the code
around line 1123 in reading.c where the comment is found:

      /* The atari at (ai,aj) seems to work but we still
       * must check there is not a better defense. */

We all agree that atari_atari is only an inadequate attempt
to try to find moves with double meanings. But I think it's too
soon to scrap it until we definitely have something better.

Dan