Re: [gnugo-devel] trevor_1_14.5

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] trevor_1_14.5
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 13:48:31 -0800

> Dan wrote:
> > Why does this patch remove owl attack pattern A1?
> >
> > That pattern looks needed to me. You could quibble with
> > the valuation.
>
> I think Trevor is on the right track. It's not enough that a pattern
> is needed sometimes, we simply can't afford too many ineffective hits.
> Pattern A1 looks like it may well be too general.

I'm surprised at this opinion. How would you make it more specific?

Here's the pattern:

Pattern A1
# sometimes sagari is better

?.*Ox        connect
..OXX
-----

:8,n,value(80)

If O neglects to reinforce X can substantially improve
his eyespace in sente by hane underneath. Usually he can
push at least twice in sente.

Removing this pattern seems surely harmful.

Dan