Re: [gnugo-devel] Tests inside SGF files

From: Dave Denholm
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Tests inside SGF files
Date: 21 Nov 2001 11:08:37 +0000

Tristan Cazenave <address@hidden> writes:

> > My suggestion is that you write a script which converts a game record
> > annotated with test cases to the *.tst format. That may give you a
> > comfortable way to produce test cases.
> >

> I have written something similar in C to convert my tests (it is quite
> specific and not pretty, but it does the work...).
> I can provide it if you are interested...
> (Anders Kierulf, Thomas Wolf, David Fotland and M. Mueller all use
> tests inside the sgf file, so improving a converter may also help
> them sending regression tests in .tst format).

Possibibly ambitious to have just one convertor for all formats.

Perhaps a few generic routines to, for example, output a sequence
of gtp commands to set up a board position.

> Personally, I find the .tst format convenient.
>
> btw, I have many sgf problems, including Cho's one, but I do
> not have the corresponding .tst files.
>
> It would be interesting to automatically build the .tst files
> for these thousands of problems, and test gnugo and golois
> on them...

That was what I was trying with uligo's problem sets. One
difficulty I found was gnugo was looking for the best move
on the whole board, which might not involve saving the
4-stone group in the corner !

One hack might be to have a problem-solving mode which skews
the move weights in favour of killing/saving groups rather
than making territory, say.

dd
--
address@hidden          http://www.insignia.com