Re: [gnugo-devel] bigger TODO list

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] bigger TODO list
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 17:49:41 +0100

Inge wrote:
> > > 8. Support for seki in:
> > >     - the tactical reader
> >
> > What would this mean?
>
> You wouldn't have to ask since one of your latest patches seems to
> implement this (or am I wrong)?  :-)

Yes, I'd say you are. The tactical reading has always been of the
belief that seki is life, or at least tactical safety. What my patch
did was to improve the move generation for very small scale semeais
and this may increase the chances of defending by constructing a seki.
But to say that the tactical reading is or was lacking support for
seki is off the mark.

The owl code, on the other hand, has a very limited understanding of
seki.

> What it means is that it should detect that seki is a way to save a
> string.  We have (at least) one example in the regressions, but I
> don't have time to find it right now.

If you can find it, I'm interested in seeing what you're thinking
about.