Re: [gnugo-devel] NNGS games in regression/games/nngs

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] NNGS games in regression/games/nngs
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 19:12:42 -0800

> >If the policy you propose is followed, we will pollute the regression
> >tarball with a lot of games for which there are no tests.
> I think that this will not be much of a problem, expecially compared
> to the benefit.  As I suggested before, the games without tests
> should be weeded out every month or two (this would be very easy).
>
> I suggest that we give the plan a try, and see if the pollution is
> too bad.

When a game is added to the regression directory and tuned against
the amount of time spent adding it and giving it a name (a couple
of minutes) is insignificant compared with the amount of time you
spend making up tests for it and tuning against those tests.

Tuning material is very ubiquitous. There is so much of it that
indiscriminately adding every game or even a measurable percentage
of all completed games is not feasible.

GNU Go has played 8596 games as B and 9270 games as W on NNGS.

Automatically adding these games to the regression tarball is not
something we should be doing. Isn't this obvious?

Dan