Re: [gnugo-devel] bug report (maybe)

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] bug report (maybe)
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 15:57:24 +0100 (CET)

Hello Niklaus,

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Niklaus Haefliger wrote:
> Once I played it, something strange happened. Gnugo began taking a very
> long time for it's moves (about 10 min / move on an Athlon 500) and ran
> out of time soon (I gave it a lot of time, something like 30min
> +5x1min). I didn't run any other programs (apart from cgoban) at the
> time and gnugo used up all the CPU.  I guess this was gnugo's fault, but
> I'm not 100% sure it wasn't something else on my system.
This is reproducible for me, and it seems to be a bug indeed, as GNU Go
needs 11 or 12 minutes (on my Athlon 400) for a part that usually does not
take very long (value_moves). However, when I tried it with a current
development version (3.19 I think), this didn't occur again, so the
problem may already have been taken care of.

Thanks for sending the report anyway!

OTOH, the current GNU Go development version seems to have a significant
performance loss compared to 3.0. I will probably write another email
about this to the list soon.

Arend