Re: [gnugo-devel] Comments on lazarus.tst

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Comments on lazarus.tst
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 07:17:44 -0800

> Are there any ideas how to teach this to GNU Go? I mean these things
> that are burnt into each Go player's mind when he/she reads "Lessons
> in the Fundamentals"?
> (Play honte, don't leave aji, ...)
>
> I believe this is VERY important.

I agree, this is very important.

How about the principle of extending a single stone in atari
then sacrificing them both to get forcing moves.

Good questions, and ones we haven't addressed at all in the code.

An answer might not be cognitive in nature. For example
GNU Go doesn't have the concept of thickness, yet it
does build and use thickness.

Gunnar pointed out that this position in the Lazarus
game is not a particularly good example. Maybe the
first step is to collect some good examples, and
then ponder them. Because the question may not have
a single answer, and may be easier to ponder with
some examples in front of us.

Dan