Re: [gnugo-devel] Toying with ideas

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Toying with ideas
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 14:22:48 -0800

Heikki wrote:

>   1) I make a personal fork, work on that, and if I ever get around to
>      something useful, take the trouble to merge my improvements into the
>      main line of GnuGo.
>   2) I introduce a configure option and a pile of #ifdefs into the GnuGo
>      line and work inside that. If it ever works, we just make that config
>      default.
>
> The second solution would be easier for me, but would distract anyone else
> reading those parts of the source. The first solution is nicest for everyone
> else, but may mean lots of trouble merging later.

Where would these piles of #ifdef's likely be? That is,
what files do you imagine would need modifying and what
would be the nature of the modifications?

There are compile time options now that enable/disable
various things such as the DFA. But before these went
in we knew more or less what people intended to do.

You actually haven't told us very much about what you
have in mind.

We'd be negative on agreeing to cluttering up existing
files with #ifdefs unless there was some tangible and
realistic goal.

Maybe you should start with a private fork as a proof
of concept. As much as possible, keep any new code you
write in separate files. If the idea looks promising,
we could then do the merge. In the meantime feel free
to ask for help or advice.

Dan