Re: [gnugo-devel] arend_1_24.5: dfa 1D conversion

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] arend_1_24.5: dfa 1D conversion
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 12:00:18 +0100 (CET)

Tanguy URVOY wrote:
> I see that you removed the reverse spiral:
>
> > - (reverse_spiral[ll][BASE + (i) - (i0)][BASE + (j) - (j0)])
> > -
>
> This reverse spiral is dead code :(
> But it will be very usefull for the incremental DFA pattern matcher.
> I do not have time yet to implement this algorithm.

Yes, I realized this when I browsed through the DFA texinfo after I had
submitted the patch. I removed it because I would have had to rewrite the
code that generates reverse_spiral, and I don't like to add code that
does not get used, too likely to introduce a bug somewhere.

Btw, as you seem to know the DFA best: It seems to me that one could both
save some run time and decrease the size of the DFA by changing the spiral
path such that it always goes parallel to the edges of the board.
(This gives a shorter path for all patterns that are quadratic or close to
quadratic, which is true for most patterns in owl*.db.)

Do you know off-hand any reason why this should be worse than the current
diagonal spiral, or where there might be some problem that I am missing?
If not, I will probably try this out.

Arend