Re: [gnugo-devel] gnu go for ArmLinux

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] gnu go for ArmLinux
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 08:23:40 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, brian lee dae yung wrote:

> is it the footprint or the memory requirements that are big?  i read
> that it GNU Go uses a hefty RAM cache.
If I compile GNU Go 3.1.24 without debugging information and configured
with
  ./configure --disable-dfa
I get an executable of a little more than 3M; with --enable-dfa (which
improves performance) it is about 1.4M more. With cache-size set to 16 M
(easy to adjust that, see the docs), it uses <= 22M of RAM on my GNU/Linux
system.

> > Could you tell us a little more about the Yopy? How much
> > RAM does it have?
>
> the YP-3000 has 64MB SDRAM and 16MB FlashROM and uses the StrongARM
> SA1110 @ 206 MHz.  It runs XWindows on ARMLinux + GMate's [the
> manufacturer] own modifications.  It supports MMC, of which i have 2 64
> MB cards.

That sounds like more than enough memory. I guess you will just have to go
ahead and try it! GNU Go is all plain C, so I would not expect problems
with compilation -- but I have never tried cross-compilation.

Good luck,
Arend