[gnugo-devel] Recent games

From: Daniel Bump
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Recent games
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 07:43:07 -0800

In a couple of days I'll finally have some time to work
on GNU Go and I intend to do some tuning. Despite the rating
surge and general improvement in strength we still have a
long way to go. There have been some fairly bad games on NNGS
recently, and these have mostly been collected in
regression/games/nngs. I've added tests for many of them in
regression/nngs1.tst but the GoFuN games are so far uncommented.

Inge speculated that GoFuN is Fungo, a strong Korean program
by Fun Goo Park. On NNGS stats GoFuN turns up "user not found".
I'm not sure what this means. Anyway, many of these are
games where GNU Go loses groups, starting to develop them
then abandoning them. They probably merit study, for often
GNU Go gets into difficulty without obvious tuning points
along the way.

Dan