Re: [gnugo-devel] Olympiad games

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Olympiad games
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 21:41:23 +0200 (CEST)

Gunnar wrote:

> regression/games/olympiad2002. This gives us a wealth of games to
> discuss. I'll start with some comments about the first Go Intellect

The second game against Go4++ (game2-19-gnugo-go4-0-1.sgf) looks
encouragingly close. If GNU Go would close its territory at move 80
(or resits at H7 with move 86), it might be leading.

However, this intruding into opponent's territory as
black does with moves 83 and so on seems to be a strength of Go4++, so
the victory was not undeserved. On the other hand, I am not sure Go4++
read this out, maybe it just tried, hoping that something good will happen.
(As it did even more so later in the game -- btw, were these games
played with chinese rules, or will this be even worse at the century
cup?)

J4 (144) is an annoying mistake caused by a huge shape bonus (shape+10).
I often get the impression that such huge shape values cause a lot more
trouble than they help to resolve. Maybe we should review all shape
values bigger than +-6, or ignore the shape effect for moves with owl move
reasons.

Arend