Re: [gnugo-devel] a patch from a newbie :)

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] a patch from a newbie :)
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 16:14:20 -0700

Arend wrote:

> I didn't cross-check, but I think that is exactly the regression delta
> of arend_3_9.1, which I put in CVS earlier today (I listed the
> regression results in my e-mail with subject arend_3_9.1).

Right you are. You must have checked that patch in between
the two cvs updates that I did  (minutes apart!) in different directories.

Presumably this confirms that the parameters WIN can now be
changed.

Gunnar wrote:

> The new result codes certainly require discussion. In the mean time we
> would, as Arend has commented, be happy to get a partial patch doing
> the following:
>
> * Change 1, 2, 3 to KO_B, KO_A, WIN wherever those macros are
>   appropriate.
> * Change any occurences of the form "3 - code" or "WIN - code" to
>   "REVERSE_RESULT(code)".

My impression is that the scheme is basically sound. Its principal
defect is that it doesn't track of which piece is discarded in a
partially successful attack.  This seems less important than
the simple fact that something does get cut off. Arend suggested
something more complicated but at this time I would favor a simple
scheme.

To summarize, I like the patch, though of course it now needs
to be resubmitted.

Dan