Re: [gnugo-devel] engine/influence.c

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] engine/influence.c
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 20:26:32 +0200

Arend wrote:
> On the other hand I wonder why we even bother spreading this very low
> influence. The effect on territorial valuation is negligeable; so the
> only thing that gets affected is whose_territory(). I doubt that this is
> wort the effort, it is only used by exaclty 12 patterns.

Before you introduced the continuous territorial values this was very
critical. Today we could probably try a more aggressive cutoff.

I reviewed the patterns using the xterri and oterri helpers and I'm
fairly certain these could equally well be replaced by checking
whether the territorial value is larger than 0.95 or something like
that.

The only potential problem I can see is what happens at vertices where
both colors have small influence and an early cutoff would cause only
one of them down to zero. This may or may not be a problem.