Re: [gnugo-devel] tweaking strength

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] tweaking strength
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 19:41:44 -0700

> --depth
> --backfill-depth
> --fourlib-depth
> --ko-depth
> --branch-depth
> --backfill2-depth
> --superstring-depth
> --aa-depth
> --level
>
> Can you help me identify which settings make the most sense in terms of
> being able to dumb down GNU Go for beginners and then stiffen GNU Go up as
> the person's skill advances?  Knowing default, minimum and maximum values
> for these would be useful as well.

Most of these settings are only useful if you are working on
the program.

To answer your question, use --level n, where n is between 1 and 10.
When the level is decreased the program will play faster and weaker.

Levels above 10 will make the program play slower but will not
necessarily make it stronger, as far as we know. For the strongest
program use level 10.

Daniel Bump