RE: [gnugo-devel] Proposed owl_determine_life() improvement

From: Portela Fernand
Subject: RE: [gnugo-devel] Proposed owl_determine_life() improvement
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 02:10:06 +0100

Trevor wrote:

> Tweaking pattern values to improve test results is something that
> I've certainly done, and I don't think anyone would object.  I think
> it's even a good idea.  As someone (Arend, I think) pointed out,
> there are a lot of patterns with the same value, and this doesn't
> really make sense.
> In particular in owl_defendpats, there are 40 patterns with value
> (35), including D1401.

My bad, I meant A1401, not D1401. A1401 has a value of 45, but it's
all the same, since 29 other patterns in the owl_attackpats database
have the same value.

Well then, I'll include it in an upcoming misc owl tuning patch.

> Related to this, I think automated tuning of these values is a fine
> idea.
> Likewise, I think automated modification of the owl pattern databases
> based on known life & death problems would be useful.

The issue here is CPU power I guess. I started trying to use some
distributed computing here at my office, but our few poor old boxes
won't allow me to do an extensive job like this one I think. Sigh...

/nando