Re: [gnugo-devel] GNU Go as an oracle

From: Andrew Derrick Balsa
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] GNU Go as an oracle
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 21:56:05 +0000

Hi,

On Thursday 07 November 2002 08:51, Arend Bayer wrote:
> Trevor Morris wrote:
> > Is there a standard cross-platform way of:
> >  - starting threads in the same process (rather than forking a new one)?
>
> I don't think so. On GNU/Linux, there is clone(2) (the system call to
> the kernel), and pthread_create(3), as far as I understand a wrapper
> around clone in the glibc.

POSIX pthreads, which has been implemented in GNU/Linux using the clone
mechanism, is the standard cross-platform way of starting a thread rather
than forking a process.

I have just posted a short patch on the GTP list that implements pthreads for
Randyplus. I was surprised by the low overhead to add threads to a program.

However, GNU Go is much more complicated and much larger than Randyplus.
Adding threads would be a non-trivial task. It may be worth it, though.

Regards,
--
Andrew D. Balsa
address@hidden