Re: [gnugo-devel] assignment with gnu-go

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] assignment with gnu-go
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 12:48:14 -0800

> Sorry I think I accidentally sent my last message to your email and not the
> "address@hidden". Funny, I can't find it in my sent mail.
>
>I talked with my prof. and he seemed really happy if I could do something
> that could benift GNU and saw no problems with copyrighting to FSF.

I have a specific suggestion which is to implement an endgame module
based on the combinatorial games theory paradigm, a Go endgame is a
sum of local games.

This point of view is advocated in the book of Berlekamp and Wolfe.
Their specific algorithm is not practical because it is only valid
for cold and tepid games, where each local game is worth at most
one point. By the time a Go game reaches that stage, it is usually
already decided. But their book is worth looking at for ideas if
you can find it.

A first problem is to get a good algorithm for localizing the
endgames.

Then I think you can use the metamachine to compute the values of
local games. Not in the precise way that Berlekamp and Wolfe do
but some approximation similar to what human players use, this
move is worth 2 points in gote, 1 point in sente ...

Then once the local games are computed, to find the best move.

Let me know if you like this idea.

Dan