Re: [gnugo-devel] influence and more

From: Gunnar Farneback
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] influence and more
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 20:11:46 +0100

Inge wrote:
> I agree about this.  We might, however, want to use non-linear
> relation between .weakness and need to enforce the dragon,  The
> sigmoid function is standard in such cases.

This might be slightly off-topic, but I'm curious why you would
consider sigmoid functions as more natural than other non-linearities
in this application. I was of the impression that the most interesting
aspects of sigmoids are to map an unbounded interval to a bounded one
and having nice derivatives which come in handy for neural net
applications. Neither of these seem very relevant for the weakness
to value mapping.