Re: [gnugo-devel] use fixed point arithmetics in accumulat_influence

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] use fixed point arithmetics in accumulat_influence
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 02:19:07 +0100 (CET)

Gunnar wrote:
> How big speedup did you experience?

IIRC around 30% for accumulat_influence(), but since we have Dave's and my
speedups in, this doesn't result in a big overall speedup currently.
(Could change of course if we decide to call influence.c more often.)
It was below 1%.

> My main concern is that I find the code harder to read (and thus to
> maintain) with fixed point arithmetics.
>
> Btw, would it be meaningful to limit the fixed-point arithmetics to
> accumulate_influence() and the surrounding loops?

Well at least permeability I'd prefer to store in fixed point (because
this is used so often in the inner loop in accumulate_influence()).
Everything else could be stored in float, yes.

Arend