Re: [ggo-discussion] Re: [gnugo-devel] gnugo / gGo interaction badness

From: Peter Strempel
Subject: Re: [ggo-discussion] Re: [gnugo-devel] gnugo / gGo interaction badness
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 23:13:19 +0100

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 10:45:14PM +0100, Arend Bayer wrote:
> a) You could support both versions by using the gtp command gtp_version.
>
> b) For now, you could just tell users in the FAQ that they need to use
> the command line option "--gtp-version 1" when using GNU Go 3.3.10 or
> newer. (We apologize for not having this documented yet.)

Sounds reasonable. Well, I did not know about this parameter yet. Time to
subscribe to gnugo-devel list, it seems. :) However, I don't see this as too
urgent right now. But on the other hand, it might be nice if a stable GNU Go
is released with GTP2 support I could release gGo with the proper support at
the same time, so I should care for the support in time.

Is the GTP 2 specification finished right now? Ive been following the GTP
mailing list and rather got the impression it is not. I'd prefer to
implement the GTP support from a GTP specification, not from the GNU Go
sourcecode.

> You could btw also mention that one needs at least 3.0 as far as
> stable releases go; e.g. SuSE ships GNU Go 2.6.

They do? How poor. :)
Just checked, Debian comes with 3.2. I use a selfcompiled version myself.

Well, I just wrote the GNU Go part for the gGo FAQ, so I will add this right
now.

 Peter