Re: [gnugo-devel] dfa optimizer

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] dfa optimizer
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 20:32:32 +0200

Arend wrote:
> Paul wrote:
> > - new dfa builder implemented in dfa.c
> > - dfa size reduction algorithm implemented
> > - dfa transformation hints (.dtr) files added to repository
>
> This looks good. The only small downside is the added maintenance
> when removing/renaming owl patterns.
>
> Out of curiosity, did you try the more simplistic approach of rotating
> each pattern so that it's dfa string length is minimized? Or maybe use
> that as the starting point for your optimization iterations?

good point, i somehow missed it ;) i checked the results:

                                        shortest        iterational
                        original    transformations      optimizer
owl_defendpats.db         34049           17109            10592
owl_attackpats.db         24700           11346             8194
owl_vital_apats.db         1126             943              868
aa_attackpats.db            352             254              242

so, it is a very good start for the optimizer. i'll add it once the
original patch is in cvs.

btw, two of hunks of my patch fail to apply. the reason is that they
"conflict" with the corner matcher patch. just insert an empty line
after the opening curly brace of `finish_pattern' and four spaces in
line 2560 of mkpat.c before applying the patch.

Paul