Re: [gnugo-devel] dfa optimizer

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] dfa optimizer
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 18:32:29 +0200

Tanguy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The row of the first wildcard should also
> be a good heuristic to reduce the size
> of the dfa.

quite possible, but i think that we already have a good starting
heuristic. the optimizer takes down from 17000 to 12000 states in
owl_defendpats.db quite quickly, it takes more time to squeeze out
the last states. so, having more heuristics will add complexity
only, without much gain (unless you completely replace iterational
optimizer with heuristics, of course).

Paul