Re: [gnugo-devel] some questions

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] some questions
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 16:45:52 +0100 (CET)

Evan wrote:

> max-d wrote:
>
> > i ran a game gnugo332 vs GNUgo3316
> > 3.3.16 (level 3) made at least 2 huge mistakes
> >
> > replaying the game through my UI, i would like to increase the play level
> > and ask the engine again BUT even at level 20 it makes the mistake.
> >
> > The "level 20" command seems to be understood since the engine
> > returns "=" but GNUgo plays very quickly so i suppose it is not recomputing
> > anything .
> > Is there a command to reset the tables ?
>
> clear_cache should do what you want.  If it doesn't, that's a bug, and
> I'll look into it.

This shouldn't be necessary, as GNU Go recognizes that it has to
make the calculations at higher depths than the calculations whose
results it finds in the caches.

In fact, if I load the game you posted just before the move at D10, and
I do:

level 3
genmove_black
undo
level 20
genmove_black

GNU Go thinks very long (and still plays D10) at the 2nd genmove. It's
hard to guess where the problem is without knowing which gtp commands
your UI sends to GNU Go.

We should put the two positions you mentioned into our regression test
suite, they are bad mistakes indeed.

Thanks,
Arend