Re: [gnugo-devel] look at regress file

From: Evan Berggren Daniel
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] look at regress file
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 23:33:15 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003, kevin yong wrote:

> Then, i dig into the source code of value_moves.c, and
> found that there is no place the 'strategically
> attacks' move_reason was valuated and add a value.
> >From the manual judgement of the board situation, the
> sente of L9 is because it's strategically attacks L7
> if it get followup-move at M9. So, i think this is the
> key problem of gnugo in handling this specific case.
>
> the solution: i recommand to make some enhancement to
> the value_moves.c to add handling 'strategically
> attacks' move_reason, especially with sente.

Without having looked at value_moves.c in detail, this sounds like a case
of either a severe bug or a lack of comments explaining why this is in
fact the way things are supposed to be.  In either case, a patch
correcting the situation would be welcome.  I imagine that dealing with
strategic attacks should be done in a similar fashion to dealing with
strategic defenses.

Evan Daniel