RE: [gnugo-devel] Access violation in 3.3.18 compiled with Visual C

From: Portela Fernando
Subject: RE: [gnugo-devel] Access violation in 3.3.18 compiled with Visual C
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 17:16:31 +0200

SP LEE wrote:

> I have compiled GNUGO 3.3.18 using Visual C and played with it and
> found it often stopped due to "access violation", which is generated
> in windows 98.
> In windows XP this becomes "signature error". In the attached
> example, the GNUGO stopped at MEMCPY.ASM (some instructions further
> from the label CopyUp) after 16 time calls of do_owl_analyze_semeai.
> GNUGO plays black in this example.

After making a small (unrelated) change, I recently observed a couple
identical crashes. I think that it has to do with the recent changes in
in the semeai code. The crash is caused by the owl context stack being
reallocated (by realloc()) and memory moved (see line 5303 in owl.c).
Pointers are supposed to be updated after pop_owl() calls, but there's
apparently a spot where something goes wrong now. I don't have much
time to track this down and there are people who know this portion of
code better than I do, so for the moment I just increased the default
allocation to MAX_SEMEAI_DEPTH, which is not a proper fix, but
temporarily prevents the crashes.

/nando