Re: [gnugo-devel] How to teach gnugo wonderful tesujis?

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] How to teach gnugo wonderful tesujis?
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 00:32:09 +0200 (CEST)

> > 1. Try disconnect()s between the strings enclosing the moyo.
> > I fear this would give far too many false postives, where a
> > disconnection is only succesful in a readconnect sense, but the cutting
> > stones will get captured eventually.
>
> How about a pattern driven call to disconnect through
> the autohelper macros oplay_disconnect and xplay_disconnect
> with an appropriate action line?
>
> The action line would generate a move reason.
>
> The advantage of this approach is that you wouldn't be
> randomly going around the board trying disconnections.
> The disadvantage is that you would miss examples for
> which real creativity is required.

Hmm. This is might not a majority opinion on this list, but I don't like
pattern driven approaches too much if there is an alternative.
And I would call it "going around _systematically_" :-) What I imagined
is to go around the border of big regions of territory, and try
disconnections there.

The problem about false positives is inherent to both approaches, I'd
claim.

Arend