Re: [gnugo-devel] hane tuning

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] hane tuning
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 00:09:43 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 22 May 2003, Gunnar Farneback wrote:

> Arend wrote:
> >  Pattern EE5
> >
> > +???
> >  XO?       descend to edge
> >  .*?       may quite possibly be 0 points gote
> >  ---
> >
> >  :8,OXe,terri(0.1)
> >
> > +?ab
> > +XOc       descend to edge
> > +.*d       may quite possibly be 0 points gote
> > +---
> > +
> > +;o_somewhere(a,b,c,d)
>
> When is this constraint needed?

I should have added a comment there:
The problem was that in some situation GNU Go was starting to play

.X..O
.XO..
!.*..
-----

in some situations (instead of the hane), partly because of followup
values around ! awarded by the influence code. I found no good solution
to that, other than just preventing the "*" move being generated as a
candidate at all.

If you have a better idea...

Arend