Re: [gnugo-devel] Weakness calculation

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Weakness calculation
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 16:23:32 +0200 (CEST)

Inge wrote:

> I have two questions:
>
> 1. Why would this rock solid group get a weakness value that is
>    significantly greater than zero?  The genus alone should be enough
>    to say that it is totally non-weak.
>
>    The weakness values are interpolated from a table where genus 3.0
>    gives weakness 0.0 and genus 2.5 gives weakness 0.10 and genus 2.0
>    gives weakness 0.2.  Shouldn't genus 2.5 indicate a totally stable
>    group and thus have a weakness value very close to 0?

The genus is far too unreliable. Just try setting the curve to values
as you suggest, and I bet you will break lots of regression tests.
One idea to improve the genus accuracy would be to take into account
matching vital owl attack patterns.

Another idea would be to some very quick reading for invincibility
(i.e. minimax reading where the goal is to get a dragon into an
invincible shape). Both the groups you mention should be seen invincible
within 5-10 nodes.

Arend