Re: [gnugo-devel] connection reader speed optimization

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] connection reader speed optimization
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 12:42:44 +0200 (CEST)

Paul wrote:
> Arend wrote:
> > One change in this patch is that only the origin, not all stones, of a
> > string get added to the connection queue. Is this necessary/useful?
(...)
> Well, this was a speed optimization attempt :)  It reduces the number of
> queue scans a lot, but on the second thought that probably doesn't matter
> much in terms of speed.  So, this change can be taken out of the patch.
>
> However, i have a counter-proposal.  Is it really the intention to have
> partial strings in break-in goal array?  Maybe fixing this will give an
> improvement in break-in efficiency?  In other words i propose you to
> investigate the matter :)

I haven't seen an example of this yet, but yes, I need to improve the
code in compute_smaller_goal(), for example. (Are you sure this happens
without your patch?)

But I think it would be easier to do this if we revert your change
to the connection queues. For example, you have (inadvertently, I
believe) changed the logic in compute_smaller_goal(), and it would be
easier to restore (and improve) it in that case.

Maybe it's most productive if I continue to work with your patch?

Arend