Re: [gnugo-devel] Attack and defense points for worms - graphical debugb

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Attack and defense points for worms - graphical debugboard output
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 22:37:31 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, aquarius wrote:

> I think it would be nice to have a GTP interface to the debugboard stuff
> (resp. to keep/extend it if it already exists).
>
> Reason:
> GoGui (http://gogui.sourceforge.net) has made much progress lately, it is
> written
> in Java - (fully portable !!!) and it has those nice and easy to extend
> "analyze"
> commands that interact with GnuGo or other go playing engines via GTP.
> One can show many different grapical representations of board state etc.

As far as I remember, most of the stuff available via debugboard is
already available GTP. Try dragon_data, for example.

> Isn't this what you want?
> Do you think GoGui would be practical to use as a graphical debug tool?

I think it is an interesting alternative. I guess it would be less work
to add some graphical interpretation of gnugo-specific GTP commands,
than to add a graphical frontend to debugboard. The only disadvantage I
see is that java may still be a little unpopular, although I'd hope
that the increasing popularity of kgs might get more people used to
running a java application...

Arend