Re: [gnugo-devel] Thesis on Computer Go

From: bump
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Thesis on Computer Go
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 08:04:12 -0800

> I am currently writing a Master`s Thesis on Comptuer Go and I would like
> to describe the move selection mechanism of GnuGo as a case study. I do
> have to questions on that issue: Am I allowed to do this or do I need
> someone`s authorization? Who could help me to get started? And: Is there
> any scientific publication already describing GnuGo in detail (sofar I
> have not found anything like that)?

Certainly you would be allowed to do this. The only thing you are
not allowed to do is to distribute a binary of a modified form of
the program without also distributing the source code for your
modifications.

Have you looked at the documentation for GNU Go?

On a Unix or GNU Linux machine, if you go into doc/ if you type `make
gnugo.ps' you get postscript documentation. The documentation is
also distributed as texinfo, that you can read from inside emacs.

I see the html documentation on our web page is out of date.
We have doc for 3.2 posted and linked from

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnugo/devel.html

We will update that to 3.4. You should of course use GNU Go 3.4
rather than something older.

Daniel Bump