Re: [gnugo-devel] Level and time_left

From: Evan Berggren Daniel
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Level and time_left
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 13:03:01 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, Michael Goetze wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am running two GNU Go bots on KGS, and it seems that in recent
> versions it adjusts it's level based on info it gets from the time_left
> GTP command. But... is there anyway to get it to default to a level
> above 10?

Be aware that levels above 10 are "unsupported."  What this means is that
there is no particular guarantee that GNU Go will do what you want it to,
though it is likely that it will play better at higher levels.

In testing, I have had games (at level 18) where GNU Go spent many hours
per move.  This is a problem when playing on servers, because (I believe)
GNU Go currently only changes level settings between moves, so if
something of the sort happened it could lose on time.

All that said, I would be surprised if there was a problem setting the max
level to something a little conservative, like 12.

Evan Daniel