Re: [gnugo-devel] Interested in GNU GO development

From: Harry Wang
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Interested in GNU GO development
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 21:08:21 -0700 (PDT)

I am perfectly happy to sign copyright assignment to the FSF. I am a
self-funded grad student so I think there won't be much issues with the
university here.

I was interested in pair programming techniques (one of XP
approach) because I find it more productive. But I understand it's harder
to people to meet in person to work on code in GNU projects.

I have played 30-50 games with GNU GO on 9x9 and 19x19 boards. So far I am
pretty impressed about it's performance on 9x9. But on a 19x19 board, it
is only smart about local fights but fails in global strategy. One example
is that I can build center influence easily while GNU GO is taking over
the corners. This shows that GNU GO is not noticing the intention of its
opponent quickly enough.

I have not read too much of the code or docs. But I'll ask anyway, what
are some mechanism in place to address this issue in GNU GO 3.4? If not,
if a heuristic can make GNU GO be aware of such intent, then it can play
aggressively to attack these areas.

 Harry Wang
Department of Computer Science
University of California Santa Cruz
Email: address@hidden
" Obedience, Bane of all genius, virtue, freedom, truth, Makes slaves of
men "
(Percy Bysshe Shelley)