Re: [gnugo-devel] rand() % n

From: Douglas Ridgway
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] rand() % n
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 15:01:05 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 13 May 2004, David G Doshay wrote:

> How often is the RNG called in Gnu Go?

engine/value_moves.c and engine/fuseki.c (and handicap.c?) are I think the
primary places where they are used.

> I am having a problem imagining that the specific details of the RNG
> are really important. It seems that most any reasonable RNG, even
> a simple and direct linear congruential generator with "proper"
> parameters, should be fine.

Add "used appropriately", and I think we'll all agree. The only question,
no doubt overbelabored already, is whether using low order bits of TT800
is appropriate.

I think there is a problem with predictability -- in autoplay, I see lots
of repeat games. But you're right that it's unlikely to be the fault of
the generator, or even inappropriate use of a good generator.

doug.