[gnugo-devel] Persistent cache sizes

From: Portela Fernando
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Persistent cache sizes
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 12:32:02 +0200

Hi,

I don't know if this has already been discussed, my apologies in that case.

I made a couple experiments yesterday night by :
- making GG replay its own color for something like a half-dozen of its
  KGS and NNGS games
- varying persistent reading and connection cache sizes

It was late and neglected to take notices, but I obtained the best timing
results (--showtime) with both reading and connection cache sizes increased
to 300, which speeded up the engine by up to 10%. Increasing the sizes
further only gained a few 1/10 secs over a game, so it didn't seem worth
the size overhead.

Comparatively, the regressions then ran a bit slower, but that was to be
expected, as the engine was filling caches with entries that it would in
many cases not use again in that specific context.

Thoughts ?

nando