Re: [gnugo-devel] symmetries and transformations

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] symmetries and transformations
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:05:36 +0300

Tanguy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am going slowly back into gnugo's code.
> I stepped to the same question I asked 2 years
> before: why do we need a "symmetry" option
> for patterns ?
>

> If we consider what is written
> in 2.4 documentation this symmetry
> seems to depend only from the pattern
> shape and so to be easily computable by mkpat.
> Can you give me an example of pattern
> where it depends from something else ?

I'm too lazy to search the databases, but I can imagine something like

  Pattern XXX

  O*
  XO

  :8,-

  A.
  XO

  ; attack(A)

Of course the above could be rewritten to a symmetric pattern with `||'
condition.

I'd say that if you are into improving `mkpat', then go ahead.  I'm
sure it must be doable.  As a side-effect, you can try to clean the whole
thing a bit.  On the other hand, there are more important problems to
solve.  But again, if you want to do something useful, please do.

Paul