Re: [gnugo-devel] endgame module for GNU Go

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] endgame module for GNU Go
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 04:28:19 +0200

Xavier wrote:
> I have so the right to use the gnugo as a black box. with a gtp interface
> and use it as an help to my own program without
> make my program become GPL.
> Even if I use the intelligence of gnugo, I don't steal your
> work as long as my program still work with another gtp engine,
> and that I don't remove the freedom the gnugo staff gived
> on his own code.
>
> Of course, if I modify gnugo, to fit my needs, and if I distribuate
> the result, I mus release the code source. but I can still
> distribute gnugo with my program.

The distribution must include the source of GNU Go and possible
modifications (there is some alternative but mostly equivalent option
too). It's not enough just to have released the code in some other
sense.

> Can you say If I'm wrong somewhere ?

It sounds correct, to my understanding. The exact meaning of "linking"
code is somewhat fuzzy though, so I can only again refer to
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html. If you really depend on the
answer you should consult a lawyer.

It should also be noted that some go tournaments probably would not
allow such a program to participate if it is using a gtp engine
written by someone else.