Re: [gnugo-devel] endgame module for GNU Go

From: Eric
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] endgame module for GNU Go
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 14:17:25 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Xavier,

The paper "Cooperation Between Top-Down and Bottom-Up
Theorem Provers" was not written by me. I just list it
as a reference.

It seems to me that you understand well what is going
on there. However, I'm not sure how easy it would be
to use the same approach for GNU Go.

You really need to have more than just a desire for
two modules to cooperate with each other. You see,
theorem provers (and AI planners) are formal systems,
whereas GNU Go is not. So things are a lot less
predictable with GNU Go.

Further, although the authors of the paper do a great
job, it is very difficult to have cooperating theorem
provers. Theorem provers operate on logical sentences,
and there are an infinite number of these sentences.

AI planners make use of formal logic as well, but they
typically operate on states, instead of logical
sentences. States are finite in size - there are a
finite number of state variables, and a finite number
of values that each variable can take on.

Even with this simplification, it has still taken me 6
years to find the right "glue code" to get the pieces
of my planner to cooperate.

You may be able to "glue" GNU Go's strategic and
tactical modules. I'm not sure. I haven't torn into
the code yet. However, I think it would be the devil
to maintain the glue code. It would have to be
adjusted everytime a module was modified.

But hey, anything is possible.

Cheers,

Eric