Re: [gnugo-devel] endgame module for GNU Go

From: Xavier Combelle
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] endgame module for GNU Go
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 17:56:29 +0200

Gunnar Farnebäck wrote:

Xavier wrote:

That does depend on how exactly you differentiate between the concepts
but the most likely answers are "GNU Go doesn't really have any
strategy at all" and "yes".

Oh, I did not realize that by reading the documentation.
Thanks a lot. So one part of my job would be to realize a startegy, before gluting it with existing tactic.

How do *you* define strategy and tactics in go? It could probably be
argued that GNU Go has the strategy to get as good score as possible,
but I'm not sure whether that is at all helpful in this discussion.

/Gunnar

I would say that tactic is a way to compute the situation, and strategy is going beyound this. Basicly, for me the tactic is all you can solve by just reading, and strategy what you use when you can't. For exemple, a small strategy could be to consider that, if we don't know if a worm is alive, we consider it as alive if he has more than 4 liberty and if the worm is important, we should change the limit to 5 liberties. What made me say that gnugo has not what I call a strategy is his first moves. Often, he play a san-san. And after he play a shimari. What I learn in go is that a san-san just take all the corner in one move and so it is
not urgent to make a shimari.
But the reasonment of gnugo seems to be:
1) what to do now? The corner is empty: let's do a san-san I will win a lot of point.
2) what to do now? I can do a shimari, let's do a shimari.
But the point is that he doesn't realize that the second choice should be done before playing the first choice.

Now I will speak as a 5kyu player, if I say a mistake, the strongers players should correct me.
Chosing just to make more score as possible is a bad strategy in go.
When I discovered that having strong groups is more important than, I did significant improvments. Someone said if you have not a solid position you can't feel free for attacking.

It's my way of seeing strategy, and as often as I play with gnugo,
I would say he has no sense of strategy.

Xavier