Re: [gnugo-devel] endgame tuning

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] endgame tuning
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 06:01:22 +0200

> I tried reducing the shape value , and that produced a new FAIL at
> trevord:760, which looks basically real to me. There are other
> issues with the test (it's a basic example of a counterproductive
> kikashi before the correct move), which long term clearly need to be
> solved in other ways, but I think short term the pattern is more
> likely to prevent such moves in its current form than it is to cause
> problems like in endgame:910.

Yes, it's probably true that the shape bonus currently is more
beneficial than detrimental (and I maintain that this is regardless of
liberties). In endgame:910, however, the shape bonus is only a small
part of the problem. The biggest problems I see are that L14 gets
territorial value for M12 and that T2 does not get territorial value
for R2. The former is fairly difficult to fix but the latter should be
easy (um, assuming that influence tuning is a known art).

> I probably won't get to figuring out influence tuning any time soon to
> do eg CB343 properly, so I'll defer to other's judgement as to whether
> it's worth merging as is.

I think we can use it for the time being. If it hadn't been clearly
marked what test it was intended to solve I would have been more
negative. Btw, I'm very happy with the documentation of intended
testcases also for the uncontroversial patterns.