[gnugo-devel] How to play against the GnuGo program through Jago?

From: H Lee
Subject: [gnugo-devel] How to play against the GnuGo program through Jago?
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:52:00 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

Can you give me the instructions on how to play against the GnuGo program through Jago?

I read the documentation page at http://www.gnu.org/software/gnugo/gnugo_3.html#SEC24
But, I could not find the instructions.  I found a paragraph that I attached below.  It did not give any step-by-step instructions.

For instance, suppose I installed GnuGo in
C:\GnoGo_dir\GnuGo

Then I start Jago.  Can you give me the step-by-step instructions on how to play against the GnuGo program through Jago?

Thank you very much.

Lee

2.3.5 Running GNU Go on Windows NT and Windows 95/98

GNU Go does not come with its own graphical user interface. The Java client jago can be used.

To run Jago you need a Java Runtime Environment (JRE). This can be obtained from http://www.javasoft.com/. This is the runtime part of the Java Development Kit (JDK) and consists of the Java virtual machine, Java platform core classes, and supporting files. The Java virtual machine that comes with I.E. 5.0 works also.

Jago: http://www.rene-grothmann.de/jago/

  1. Invoke GNU Go with gnugo --quiet --mode gmp
  2. Run gnugo --help from a cygwin or DOS window for a list of options
  3. optionally specify --level <level> to make the game faster

Jago works well with both the Cygwin and MinGW32 executables. The DJGPP executable also works, but has some problems in the interaction with jago after the game has been finished and scored.

Do you Yahoo!?