[gnugo-devel] Valgrind results and experimental-owl-ext

From: bump
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Valgrind results and experimental-owl-ext
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 05:48:08 -0700

I finished running Valgrind on the entire testsuite.

I did not find any problems beyond the two that were
reported earlier, the memory leak and the problem
in test_owl_attack_move. Both are fixed, though the
memory leak fix is not yet in the CVS.

Last night I ran the testsuite (not with Valgrind)
with --experimental-owl-ext turned on and got
three crashes, in endgame:850, global:37 and
13x13b:21. The last test may have a persistent
cache component since it only happens when you
run 13x13b:20 before it.

Gunnar proposed taking out a lot of the experimental
options. Clearly we should do so, but also Paul
spoke in favor of keeping the owl-ext. Even if we
want to keep the code in the unstable line we might
consider disabling it in 3.6. On the other hand
if Paul is right it might be worth debugging these
crashes. Presumably that will not be too hard.

Dan